I recently came across the first of a series of articles by Securus Technologies, a leading provider of civil and criminal justice technology, which they issued to call attention to Global Tel Link’s (GTL) wrongdoings and lack of integrity. According to the Louisiana Public Service Commission (PSC) some of these actions include:
- programming clocks to add 15 or 36 seconds to call durations
- rating calls higher than permitted
- artificially inflated costs to customers by the addition of various amounts after calls were rated
- billing single calls more than once
- engaging in these practices deliberately for no other reason than to overcharge customers
I applaud Securus in their attempt to act with integrity in the industry. Rick Smith, CEO of Securus is quoted as saying he loves the industry and its law enforcement officers, correction facilities, inmates, family and friends and all of society. He therefore expressed disappointment that unlike other carriers in the business GTL would act in such a manner without integrity. And according to him time does not wash away such actions and that this behavior is a cancer on the industry.
I believe it is only by heeding words like these and acting upon them can decency win out in the civil and criminal justice technology industry.
Securus Technologies is a leader in the criminal justice technology industry. They are accredited and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.